Saturday, May 2, 2009

Mac and Broccoli

I combined the Vegan Dad Cheezy Mac and My Veggie Kitchen Nacho Cheeze recipes to create a lower-cal, tangy Mac and Cheese. I loved the creaminess of VeganDad's and the low-cal (and ease) of VeggieKitchen's. It's been cool here, and I wanted comfort food.

I eat about 2 servings of broccoli to every cup of cooked pasta, and that satisfies my craving without busting my calorie budget for the day. I omit the oil recommended in both recipes.

Serves 4, around 130 calories each.
  • 1/4 cup cashews
  • 1/8 cup sunflower seeds (about 2 Tbs)
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 tbs pimentos
  • 2 tbs cornstarch
  • 1 tbs dijon mustard
  • 2 tbs nutritional yeast
  • 1 tbs lemon juice
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 4 oz tofu, silken lite (nasoya)
  • 1 t onion powder
  • 1/2 t garlic powder
  • pinch tumeric
  • Blend nuts and water until smooth, then add the rest. Adjust dijon and onion/garlic as like.
  • Cook pasta, add broccoli to pot halfway through. Cook until both are just done.
  • Add back to pan with a little spray canola. Add sauce, cover, and heat until thickened.

No comments:

Post a Comment